[governance] Collective Intelligence for the Common Good Community / Network

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Dec 15 08:43:47 EST 2014

Dear All

A group coordinated by Doug Schuler of the Public Sphere Project
<http://www.publicsphereproject.org/>has been working to develop a
Network of actors working on Collective Intelligence for the Common Good
. With digitally generated intelligence today being increasingly used
for social and political control and economic exploitation, I think this
one is an important counter-project. Maybe a David to the Goliath of
data economy and data surveillance but one needs to start somewhere.

The following is an invitation for anyone interested to join the network
/ community.

parminder

-----------

Invitation to join the Collective Intelligence for the Common Good
Community / Network

We would like to invite you to participate in a new research and action
community network that focuses on Collective Intelligence for the Common
Good. We hope that our collaborative efforts will help address our
shared challenges.

Our first group event was a workshop in London in September, 2014
(http://caps2020.eu/collective-intelligence-common-good-workshop-london-september-29-30/)
that 30 people attended. We now have an opportunity to publish our work
in a journal and we are planning for other collaborations.

We plan to continue this work beyond these specific opportunities
through a variety of approaches that are outlined in our Statement of
Principles
(http://publicsphereproject.org/content/statement-principles-collective-intelligence-common-good-community-network)
and, especially through engagement among our members. The Statement of
Principles presents our commitment to engagement, multiplicity of
perspectives and approaches, support and promotion of the integration of
related efforts, and the actual design and implementation of
socio-technological systems, media, policy, events, critiques, social
actions, etc.

Our web site should be available in early 2015. Ultimately it will have
links to the projects of our members as well as to documents and news.

Members of our community / network are engaged in a wide number of
projects including deliberative and systems, empirical research, policy
development, community networks, etc. etc. By building on these efforts,
we plan to explore and implement a variety of approaches towards
lightweight coordination, in which relatively small efforts by all of us
can result in big wins for all of us — and the greater public.

If you are interested in at least hearing about this work, the easiest
way to proceed is to register on our email distribution site,
http://scn9.scn.org/mailman/listinfo/ci4cg-announce.

Thanks!

— Doug