[governance] FW: [Netneutrality] Organic Net Neutrality: David Weinberger

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Mon Dec 8 23:22:28 EST 2014

Yes, I'd say David Weinberger is making the same distinction I am.

I'd treat the current situation as an anti-trust problem rather than a
matter for FCC regulation though he's not specific on this point.

FCC / Title II regulation would enshrine the cause of the current
problem -- vertical trusts -- and just try to make it more
"fair".

That approach could also be a nightmare to police and would beg
frivolous complaints conflating for example technical problems (e.g.,
non-reachability) with regulatory violations.

A break-up of the vertical trusts, separating wire-plant from content
provision, would no doubt be more painful for a brief period but would
help undo the underlying distortion arising from wire-plant / last
mile monopolies and resultant cross-subsidization.

        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada