[governance] FW: [Netneutrality] Organic Net Neutrality: David Weinberger

Ang Peng Hwa (Prof) TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg
Mon Dec 8 22:16:13 EST 2014

(Now and then I get an email from the list going outside of my “Smart” mailbox, which I might read weeks later. Not sure why it happens but it makes for interesting digressions.)

Pardon me for stating the blindingly obvious but net neutrality is a complex issue.

1. Many people are surprised when I tell them to speed up the Internet, traffic is “managed” or “shaped”. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping
In other words, left to its “organic” self in this Weinberger sense, we will actually have slower Internet speed than if we manage the data.

I listen to Tim Wu, who coined the term, and found that he was very careful about this point. He never says no traffic discrimination at all. Some discrimination (i.e. Traffic shaping) in fact is good for the community.

But once you do that, it’s a small step to throttling other services that are not in your interests.

2. Net neutrality is an intrusion into the rights of the owner of the pipe/system/network. We can intrude into someone’s property rights if the benefits to society at large are greater than the costs of the intrusion. An example is copyright. It is a monopoly right but there are limits to what the owner can do.

3. So between #1 and #2, we have a tricky question of balancing needs, demands and interests. It also indicates that net neutrality is not an absolute. Some non-neutrality is good. Where it crosses to bad, and IMHO only when it does so, should we say that the owner’s right to do what it wants with its pipe ends and society’s interests override.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Peng Hwa ANG

[cid:E2C743EB-73A7-40AF-A9FF-D0F5D1DF1571]Peng Hwa ANG (Professor) | Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information | Nanyang Technological University | WKWSCI 02-17, 31 Nanyang Link, Singapore 639798  | Tel: (65) 67906109 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6792-7526 | Web: http://www.sirc.ntu.edu.sg/Home@SiRC/Pages/Team.aspx

President Elect-Select 2014 ICA

[cid:C80917C7-B225-4663-AC4A-67FC02CE1A5A]<http://www.icahdq.org/conf/index.asp>