[governance] Fwd: Uganda IGF 2014 - Remote Participation

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Fri Dec 5 16:07:02 EST 2014

Hi Joly,

I might need your help.

As my last post "The End of Internet Governance or The New Social Contract for the Internet" is up here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeanchristophe-nothias/the-new-social-contract-for-the-internet_b_6273976.html

I did quote Vint Cerf, himself quoting (twisting) Jean-Jacques Rousseau. The para in the blog goes:
Stepping in political science, Vint Cerf made a telling attempt to quote Rousseau in a recent public chat. Google's "Chief Internet Evangelist" ineptly twisted the philosopher's Du Contrat Social, a major writing of the Enlightenment, which calls on citizens to abandon part of their personal sovereignty to a state. In turn, the state protects them and their right to electoral representation. Cerf read (see 01:30:10) that, "roughly speaking", Rousseau says: "Citizens give up some of their privacy in exchange for safety." This must be a different Rousseau, maybe one who works in the NSA's public relations department. Or perhaps this is just how Rousseau looks through Google Glass. Whatever the case, it's touching to see a computer scientist waxing philosophical about social justice, especially when it's the VP of Google trying to legitimate mass surveillance. Here, too, we see the Internet courting traditional politics, even if Cerf merely muddles them. Old power is new power.

I found this video in your ISOC thread, and watched several times, but for some reasons it doesn't show anymore. Do you have a transcription of your own or how can we get this link live? Thanks for your help
Here is a screen capture of the link in your thread. My transcription is right in the blog, but I would make sure that anyone can check it if wanting to do so, and eventually learn if you have any information of why the video link is now empty.

Very best
JC

Jean-Christophe Nothias
Editor