[bestbits] [governance] Re: NMI and the Brazilian CGI.br

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Dec 2 01:18:07 EST 2014

On Tuesday 02 December 2014 03:43 AM, Avri Doria wrote:

> snip
>
> We participate in the ITU (I am sure you saw several of us at the PP
> where we were participatory and not at all disruptive), the IGF, the
> HRC and work with various other agencies of both the UN and the UN
> system.  I personally worked with some of the ITU-T architecture and
> protocol study groups during the last century before WSIS was even a
> concept.  Currently many of us are knocking on the ITU Council Working
> Group asking to be let in so we can have a seat at their table.  That
> is hardly vilification.

You cannot claim that you have not heard of UN and ITU vilification in
this space. In fact, I contend that a major part of the politics of
major actors in this space is driven, more or less, by resistance to
any UN body dealing with IG issues. Never mind that the same
organisations gladly engage with intergovernmental systems dealing with
IG inside an OECD or Council of Europe. In my email I mentioned several
recent instances of such anti-UN ism, for instance

1. Making the very possible mention of Internet in ITU ITRs as a do or
die issue (never mind in the US the same organisations are now fighting
for classification of the Internet as a telecommunication service and
not an information service).

2. Being lukewarm if not actively resistant to proposals at the ITU
plenipot to take up issues of grave mass scale privacy violations and
data intrusions, even as the world is reeling under the impact of this
issue and there is no globally democratic place to deal with this issue
in its holistic nature.

3. Being lukewarm if not actively resistant to a full scale WSIS plus 10
political process, at the same level as the WSIS 1 and 2...

4. Having completely resistant or at least very lukewarm attitude to and
engagement with the UN Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation which was
trying to seek possible needed institutional reforms/ evolution in the
global IG space.

Any number of further instances can be given. I just think the above
suffices to show that going for the WEF/ ICANN's NM Initiative at the
same time as resisting UN based resolution or institutional development
is a clear political choice that some have made. Putting our finger to
that political choice and what we understand are its implications is our
political duty. We would also obviously resist efforts to simply
describe this choice in a non-political manner, of 'just trying to get
all actors in'.

BTW, remember that at the time of initiation of the original NetMundial
process, not only ICANN but also US government said and I quote from US
ambassador's speech at Bali IGF, "organizing multistakeholder responses
to Internet issues that do not have a home today. And we must work
together with them in good faith on these important issues'. Therefore
this new WEF/ ICANN NMI is continuation of the same process to deal with
'orphan Internet issues', the list of which will of course keep
expanding, The same issues about which the UN spaces are struggling to
find their feet to deal with, but it are being strongly resisted in such
attempts by the developed countries and most of the civil society that
has joined the new NMI now.

So, to repeat, this is a case of particular political choice made by
civil society groups to prefer an ICANN/ WEF system to deal with
Internet related public policy issues over a UN or such globally
democratic system, which is simultaneously being rejected, other than
some 'rear guard' action kind of residual engagements. We think this is
both an extremely dangerous thing, and in that respect perhaps historic,
with regard to possibilities of a democratic governance of the global
Internet.

parminder