[governance] Inquiry for a new vision into the future of IGC - Summary of the online discussion outcome

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 15:24:05 EDT 2014

Dear all,

Between June 26 and 30, we had here a discussion running by the following
subject line:
Inquiry for a new vision into the future of IGC
Following is the summary of the main points I got from
your contributions to this discussion
[adding my summary notes, observations/comments in square brackets].

Suggestions include:

-
olding a face to face workshop, accommodating remote participation, on the
topic at Istanbul IGF

[This will be taking place at IGF 2014 this
Friday, 5 September, 12.30 - 14.00 is Bilateral Room 1 (Rumeli -1 Level /
Room 9).

-
ontemplating the possibility of national or regional chapters for IGC
[Make sure this not be confused with IGFs at the base. One thing for sure
is that IGC is meant to embody the CS component while IGF for all
stakeholders.]

-
eed for mutual respect between participants
[D
ifferences in positions should be aired with the predicate that no matter
how strong
we feel
about being right, contradicting positions may still be
both
valid under
different
 circumstances or with different assumptions than our
own
(and sure we all have assumptions!)
]

-
 minimum level of decorum or "netiquette" to ensure it is safe for
everybody to participate
[It's critical to make it comfortable for people to participate
whatever their level of familiarity
(or unfamiliarity)
with the issues,
their level of
knowledge or

self-confidence
(or lack thereof)
as regards the relevance of their contribution.
]

-
nabling and fostering trust
[M
aybe a number of basic principles
and ideas
should be spelled out here (
including for possible
charter
revision
?)
as to how to achieve that and
ensure a
baseline in expectations with regard to
our respective and mutual commitments. This might be the place to consider
the question of 'conflict of interests' policy for those in leadership
position, if relevant.]

-  IGC still provides a space to aggregate many of the differing views that
"civil society" holds about Internet governance.

-
IGC should engage in Social
apacity building
in
G and
related activism

"
People need to be educated through any extensive
[as well as extension]
program in various level of literacy and knowledge regarding their
vulnerability
" in the face of the d
evelopment
of the cyber-environment
.
"
People needs to be educated and know how to participate in procedure of
governance and how to share their concerns. I believe, it would be great,
if IGC opens a chapter for educating people in this area.
"

-
IGC should engage in (enabling)
Customer protection
based on
 Human rights, multilingualism
, regional/
cultural diversity
: Seek best practices in the field of customer protection and help empower
end-users.
-
e absolutely need a credible broadly accepted civil society coordination
entity

[This is being taken care of through the newly set up Civil Society
Coordination Group, CSCG]

-
eform is needed to enable
such entity

with
 reasonable and reasonably fast decision-making
with
regard to all the decisions that need to be made in the context of a civil
society coordination function

[In process with the CSCG]

- Criticism or fear was raised with the notion that the CSCG might be
exclusionary or the fact that it is so far perceived by some as such.
[This might be addressed through the operating procedures to be developed
by the CSCG]

- "
The alternative
[to CSCG in coordinating CS appointments]
would be IGC. However that would require a few changes so that IGC could
respond more promptly, and also for the role and processes of IGC in doing
this to be acceptable to the myriad parties who in the past few years have
forwarded their own civil society MAG nominations. Quite clearly some
substantial groups within IGC have not been happy for IGC to do this on
their behalf in the past few years, thus leading to them making their own
nominations.
"

[Please note that the CSCG is not meant to develop policies or submit
policy positions on behalf of its members' constituents. So the question
remains: How can we as IGC get there from here?]

- "a
s regards the broader question of policy statements and policy co
ordination - I do not think CSCG is a good vehicle for this.  IGC is
potentially, but there has been difficulty in getting consensus positions
here in the past, which led to the creation of Best Bits (where sign on
statements not acceptable to 100% of civil society became a useful tool)
and later to Just Net Coalition. Where there is potentially a broader
consensus, I think IGC can play a very useful role, providing it continues
to enjoy strong support from all groups.
"

- In the discussion it was also noted that "
IGC is the big tent for Internet governance geeks of all persuasions
who will never agree on much
."

Now questions:
- How do we get there from here?
- Is there any remedy to this (the fact that IGC cab "never agree on much")
beyond the above points for improvements? Or are these points sufficient?
- How can we detect and handle cases where there is a potential for broader
consensus?
- Where there is not such potential how do we deal with the coordination of
policy positions and making policy statements? Shall we create some sort of
internal Dynamic Coalitions mechanism? Can these find some level of
compromise after they develop their baseline positions, and if not how will
those positions relate to IGC as a whole as they may be contradicting?

If I have missed any issues, please feel free to forward it in reply to
this message (or raise them directly at the meeting, of course, if you
happen to be attending) so that we make sure our colleagues at the IGF 2014
have a chance to address them.

Have productive deliberations as well as safe trips to and from Istanbul,
and enjoy your stay over there!
Cheers,

Mawaki
IGC Co-coordinator