[governance] Internet Ungovernance Forum

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Aug 28 12:16:37 EDT 2014

The “Internet Ungovernance Forum” seems to not yet have been mentioned
here...

https://iuf.alternatifbilisim.org/

"""
We're organizing the Internet Ungovernance Forum on September 4-5, for
people who demand that fundamental freedoms, openness, unity and net
neutrality remain the building blocks of the Internet. Our ambition is
to talk about the real problems of the internet, how we can solve these
and to chart a path for action.

Our forum will be in parallel to the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)
2014 which will also be held in Istanbul between September 2-5.
Interested parties all around the world will join and follow this
important event. We see that at IGF the most urgent problems of the
Internet do not get the right attention. Due to the
"multi-stakeholderism" format, the main perpetrators of many of the
Internet's problems, governments and corporations, are getting
representation in IGF they don’t deserve. Given these circumstances, we
decided to take initiative to defend the Internet as we know it and to
create a space to raise the voices of civil society initiatives,
activists and common people.

For us, the most vital problems today are censorship and freedom of
speech; surveillance and privacy; excessive commercialization and
super-monopolies; protective, prohibitionist and conservative
governance approaches; awful governance examples as in the case of
Turkey and the list goes on. Further, we do not see any of these
problems independent of the greater political, social and economic
contexts in which the Internet and related digital infrastructures are
embedded in. We call on our participants to resist seeing the problems
of the Internet as only technological and void of its materiality. We
want to reclaim the Internet as a fundamental infrastructure of our
societies, cities, education, health, work, media, communications,
culture and everyday activities.
"""

This is organized by a Turkish group named Alternative Informatics
Association.

Greetings,
Norbert