The IGC is not an organisation. Was Re: [governance] IGC meeting in Istanbul

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 07:38:51 EDT 2014

Hello :-)
There is a Donate button on the Welcome page of the website. It leads to
the Paypal account for IGC.
Earlier this year we received a generous donation from a member who I have
thanked.
The hosting bill is 13.47 GB pounds every three months.
This seems to be the IGC's entire financial responsibility.
Suresh's suggestion is certainly the most practical, but it seems an unfair
burden to place on the co-ordinators who anyway might not, for several
reasons, be able to make the payments.
This is a long way from discussing policy, but it does need to be sorted
out with some urgency. It seems to me that the Donate button should be
de-activated until we know what we are doing.
Over to you - this is an area which needs input and decisions from the
group as a whole.
Deirdre

On 25 August 2014 05:02, Adam <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> But do you have an idea of how much is needed?
>
> If donations made to the coordinators (or others, Jeremy?) in person, what
> currency?  Would be good to know before we met, or all you'll get from me
> is Turkish Lira :-)
>
> Adam
>

> On Aug 25, 2014, at 5:53 PM, Mawaki Chango wrote:
>
> > This might be an item to put on the agenda (in fact it is the sub-item
> of an item already there) for the Istanbul meeting and beyond for further
> discussion here.
> > Not for the sake of web hosting cost, but in the context of the way
> forward for IGC. I don't remember that option having ever been discussed in
> the open.
> >
> > Mawaki
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian <
> suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
> > Then some individual donor had better step up and pay for the hosting in
> his or her own name and capacity
> >
> > On 25 August 2014 12:22:13 pm Nnenna Nwakanma <nnenna75 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there
> >>
> >> No, the IGC  has is not an organisation.  It is an online forum.
> >> The Charter and other stuff are still on http://igcaucus.org
> >>
> >> Best
> >>
> >> Nnenna

> held in that jurisdiction, to satisfy tax norms.

> >      http://www.igcaucus.org/

> >     http://www.igcaucus.org/

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979