[governance] How the web lost its way – and its founding principles

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Aug 25 06:26:48 EDT 2014

On Monday 25 August 2014 03:41 PM, Adam wrote:
> When Tim Berners-Lee invented the world wide web 24 years ago he thought he'd created an egalitarian tool that would share information for the greater good. But it hasn't quite worked out like that. What went wrong?
>
> more at:
>
> <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/24/internet-lost-its-way-tim-berners-lee-world-wide-web>

Precisely, what went wrong! And for us, the IG civil society, we can
probably do our own introspection... Even till mid 2000 there was much
hope from the web and the Internet, which is around the time this civil
society space begin to become active.. And then in 2010, Wired magazine
brought out that cover page with 'the web is dead', and still we only
are going down hill since....

Ok, my hypothesis is, civil society simply let big Internet business off
the hook, entirely, did not at all focus on it, rather preferred to cosy
up to it, as the tale with the WEF goes on. Do note that all the above
articles put the blame for killing the egalitarian Internet/ web
exclusively on Internet big business .... But despite repeated
exhortations by some people here, we simply never had a strategy for
Internet big business. Our exclusive focus has been the UN and
developing country govs - those bad guys!

parminder