[governance] Why we are boycotting the IGF (by Yaman Akdeniz and Kerem Altiparmak)

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Aug 24 16:17:38 EDT 2014

Hi,

It think people boycotting the IGF will have a rich selection at the
Ungoverance Forum (which I pref to think of as an IGFringe - something
every IGF should have).  I also think there is real value in boycotts.
Especially when people not boycotting, work to make sure the message of
the boycotters is brought into the boycotted event.

For those of us not boycotting, we should find way to make sure the
message of the boycotters is heard inside the IGF.  I think visiting
locations that are engaged in Autocracy 2.0 makes sense for something
like the IGF, though best when there is an IGFringe and there is support
for the boycott's message inside the venue.  Locations still engaged in
Autocracy 1.0 and those that are dangerous for groups like women and
LGBTQI are best avoided.

avri