[governance] Re: [bestbits] Why IGF? Chair's blog on 2014 IGF- Istanbul

Subi Chaturvedi subi.igp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 14:22:39 EDT 2014

Many thanks Mawaki for raising this. While cutting the umbilical chord
never actually cropped up, the ambiguity around several issues has been a
major cause for concern.  When we could be engaging with other most
substantive issues we have over the last couple of years atleast during my
tenure have often deliberated over both the continuation and perpetuity.
Recently the questions have become more acute and sharper. I am certain
others before me have too. Institutional memory points towards. Many
colleagues have steadfastly tried to turn the lens inwards- how do we do
more, be more and not just rate better?  Vlada in particular has been
consistent in ensuring we look at self improvement. Colleagues have also
shared rolling docs and working papers inadditon to the official reports
from IGF improvements from WGEC and other fora. Many suggestions have been
implemented but there's a lot more that needs to be done.  It has been an
incredible team to work with. The secretariat does an amazing job as well
but they need strengthening too and resources have often been a concern.
With Netmundial and other fora globally asking more of, and from the IGF
and rightly so, we are in the process of serious introspection and
reflection. This is a good time- of churning and flux. There have been
significant changes this year at the IGF planning, process and content. We
hope the programme content will reflect some of these. We also called for
an open space and the same has been created at the IGF this year to convene
informally and share freely and can be used by all the participants.  In
Janis we have an excellent Chair who brings with him a vast repertoire of
expertise, having worked with a multitude of stakeholders and
intergovernmental organisations alike.

I strongly urge all of you to join us on Day 3 -September 4th from
9.30-12.30. Main session -main room. It has been a long and evolutionary
process. This year the main will have two segments.

The first is about The role of IGF and the evolving internet ecosystem
especially in response to Netmundial, ITU, WSIS, UNGA and other Fora.

The second segment which is being conducted in a town hall format
simulation, is about Strengthening and improving the IGF and examining the
way forward.

The IGF secretariat had put out a call for policy questions seeking
community input. In addition to the questions we received excellent inputs
and several questions too, that we would like to see addressed-including
the elephant in the room. Should IGF be looking at negotiated outcome docs.
Panelists with brief opening remarks will speak to these questions keeping
a major portion of the main open for comments, suggestions and inputs. All
the participants present and online will be encouraged to (JAM) in the
Just-A-Minute spirit. No more passive audience in the room, going forward.

This session will hope to see maximum interventions from the floor. We hope
in the Netmundial spirit many, minute long inputs will emerge from the
participants and we have collectively attempted through innovations in both
format and substance to change how main mains at IGFs will unfold.

I remember Milton distinctly saying at the open Consultation and MAG
meeting in 2012 that we need to make main sessions more productive. Last
year under Markus's leadership the idea of 5-7 policy questions was
introduced at the Main sessions.  Mathew Shears made another valuable
intervention by refocusing our energies and asking each main to have a
distinct focus and address specific questions. Best Practice Forums are a
welcome addition this year.

ISOC has initiatiated a new initiative which will provide a platform for
all donors to support the IGF. An open meeting is scheduled on day 0. This
allows us and all small and medium donors also to bypass the complex
agreement process which has been in place. Contributions however small will
now be channelled and processed easily.

Looking forward to more free thinking and lots of thinking aloud :)

The session will have 3 substantive rapporteurs and will attempt to capture
all the suggestions made.

I do hope that we have a productive IGF 2014 optimised towards playing its
rightful role in #netgov.  And it is upto us to chart the way forward.  Do
please join us for the session on day 3 morning.

Warmest

Subi Chaturvedi

On 23 Aug 2014 21:32, "Mawaki Chango" <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Subi, for forwarding this.
>
> Just a thought while reading Amb. Janis Karklins' blog entry... and a
question. I admit I haven't paid as much attention as I should have to the
outcomes of some of the consultations held over the last year or so. Has
the idea ever come up to make the IGF become a more autonomous
entity/process from the UN? I explain. A UN process has set up the IGF.
After 10 years, now that everybody including those who initially opposed it
seems to agree that it's useful to have it, can we start thinking of a
different model from one where UN (UNDESA, CSTD, UNGA, etc.) only calls the
shot as to whether the IGF will survive or not, etc.? Maybe link IGF to a
collegial process where the UN for sure plus CSOs and individuals,
Academics, Regional Intergovernmental Organizations (EU, AU, etc.) and I*
Organizations (ICANN, ISOC, etc.) will come together and make the
"meta-decisions" about IGF? With all those entities (or groups of entities)
bringing their legitimacy to the process (so the UN is not off the hook)
but not a single one will have to decide about the fate of IGF, and they
will also take some responsibility to bring funding to the process at
whatever level they can afford.

> Please don't yet assume that I fully agree with myself here; just
thinking out loud.

> Mawaki

> Mawaki Chango, PhD
> Founder and CEO
> DIGILEXIS
> http://www.digilexis.com
> m.chango at digilexis.com | kichango at gmail.com
> Twitter: @digilexis & @prodigilexis
> Mob. (+225) 57 55 57 53 | 44 48 77 64
> Skype: digilexis
>

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Subi Chaturvedi <subi.igp at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Dear All,
>>
>> Hope you will make time to please see the attached blog written by the
Chair of the MAG Amb. Janis Karklins about the 2014 IGF- Istanbul.

>> You may also wish to translate it into your language, for your local
press and share it amongst your networks and communities.

>> While the choice always exists, to critique and engage constructively,
especially when you see room for improvement. The IGF, is a space which
remains an amplifier of issues around a free, open , secure, interoperable
Internet. CS has always looked at the internet as an enabler of free speech
and expression. Human rights violations and policies/laws which are
ambiguous or loosely worded impact digital trust and our ability to
actualise potential. Enacted without public consultation they are often
misused and interpreted at will more often than not failing to address the
core problem. Privacy and surveillance are increasingly being pitted
against national security and the two being posited as mutually exclusive.
Governments globally have had a history of engaging with the private
sector. When we look at the issues from purely resources standpoint, they
win. Many friends and colleagues have rightly pointed out that it is
important to recognise the voices which aren't in the room in
multistakeholder participation. And venues are expensive, in destination
cities for meetings. Most CS can ill afford, being present at these
meetings in person, keeping track alone of all the different events on the
IG calendar is a challenge. But it is our tenacity and will to hang in
there, our sheer determination through continuous engagement that, ushers
in change. Friends and colleagues who can't make it this year largely due
to resource gaps will be missed. Each voice brings in a diversity of
perspective and plurality of issues. While we recognise the conflicts and
discourses within, there is undeniable value in speaking truth to power and
being in the room and on the table. Change is slow but it is certain.

>> There is value in engaging because we have the most at stake. Internet
and Freedom. Both we care for, deeply. The IGF is a safe space and we must
not shy away from raising issues that concern us as a community, however
thorny or uncomfortable they might be.

>> Hope to see you in Istanbul, dialogue, debate discuss.
>>
>> warmest
>>
>> Subi Chaturvedi
>>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Hope you will make time to please see the attached blog written by the
Chair of the MAG Amb. Janis Karklins about the 2014 IGF- Istanbul.

>> You may also wish to translate it into your language, for your local
press and share it amongst your networks and communities.

>> While the choice always remains, to critique and engage constructively,
the IGF still, is a space which remains an amplifier of issues around a
free, open , secure, interoperable Internet. CS has always looked at the
internet as an enabler of free speech and expression. Human rights
violations and policies/laws which are ambiguous or loosely worded impact
digital trust and our ability to actualise potential. Enacted without
public consultation they are often misused and interpreted at will more
often than not failing to address the core problem. Privacy
and surveillance are increasingly being pitted against national security
and the two being posited as mutually exclusive. Governments globally have
had a history of engaging with the private sector. When we look at the
issues from purely resources standpoint, they win. Many friends and
colleagues have rightly pointed out that it is important to recognise the
voices which aren't in the room in multistakeholder participation. And
venues are expensive more often than not, in destination cities for
meetings. Most CS can ill afford, being present at meetings, keeping track
alone of all the different events on the IG calendar is a challenge. But it
is our tenacity and will to hang in there, our sheer determination through
continuous engagement that, ushers in change. Friends and colleagues who
can't make it for whatever reason and most often due to resource gaps will