[governance] Why we are boycotting the IGF (by Yaman Akdeniz and Kerem Altiparmak)

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 02:03:09 EDT 2014

Dear Parminder

Yes, I fully support your idea of a Civil Society statement against
Government censorship of Internet, with laws such as controversial Internet
Law No 5651
<http://www.indexoncensorship.org/2014/02/amendments-internet-law-approved-turkish-parliament-remain-murky/>.
In this instance, "the law is ostensibly aimed to protect children from
harmful content, from the very beginning it has been used to prevent
adults’ access to information" so the focus of the statement could be
against the exploitation of of Security concerns of popular appeal so as to
bring in unfair censorship laws that could be abused for control over
citizens, in Turkey, in United States, India, China, Pakistan and Europe
and elsewhere. The Civil Society statement could be emphatically against
blocking Internet and against unbalanced directives to Social Media and
oppression of free speech in all the free world.

Civil Society could also invite Yaman Akdeniz & Kerem Altiparmak to take
part to emphasize their views rather than boycott.

Thank you.

Sivasubramanian M <https://www.facebook.com/sivasubramanian.muthusamy>