[governance] Humans Need Not Apply: The Robots are Coming (Actually they are already here

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Aug 16 01:53:29 EDT 2014

Tom/ All

A much bigger problem than of allocating technology provided gains
between work (along with over consumption) and leisure (with more
controlled consumption) is of the allocation between different groups
and classes of people, and between different geo-regions. It is a
completely inexcusable crime of all those who participate in the
management of our societies today that even with such stupendous
technology/ productivity gains, about 13 percent of the world's
population still goes to bed hungry, and more than 30 percent of the
children in developing countries are stunted due to malnourishment (In
India, close to 40 percent). Nearly half the world's population lives on
less that 2.5 dollars a day.

"The world produces enough food to feed everyone...... the principal
underlying cause of poverty and hunger is the ordinary operation of the
economic and political systems in the world. Essentially control over
resources and income is based on military, political and economic power
that typically ends up in the hands of a minority, who live well, while
those at the bottom barely survive, if they do."
http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm

Meanwhile, wealth disparities are rising globally, at most places very
rapidly. A recent report says that "the lower half of the global
population possesses barely 1% of global wealth, while the richest 10%
of adults own 86% of all wealth, and the top 1% account for 46% of the
total. " And the concentration of wealth is worsening almost everywhere.

Nice time one would say to attempt to move the locus of global Internet
governance to the World Economic Forum <http://t.co/xUxOf0AvLl>, that
Mecca of the 1 percent, where 'they' develop blue prints for where the
world should go from here. We certainly need their advice and leadership
for shaping and governing the global Internet. Power on the Internet
isnt already concentrated enough!

One can only congratulate all those involved with the initiative, and
those contributing to it!

Poor those who have been trying to occupy places that signified wealth
concentration - the occupy movement. It appears that it is the civil
society that is getting occupied in reverse. And it is running into the
trap gleefully, with open arms.

parminder