[governance] WSIS 10+

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Aug 4 05:38:00 EDT 2014

Hi Wolfgang,

Losing even what we had in the form of the WSIS format is a huge huge
loss, and it saddens me a lot. It is such a set back for participatory
democracy at the global level. Yes, we must write a letter about it.

But, wait a minute. Let us for a moment also look at the IG civil
society's role in getting us to this unfortunate pass.... Did we ever
ask for the WSIS model (of course with evolutionary improvements) for
WSIS plus 10 review. No, no one did. What was being asked for instead is
as follows:

1. Dont do WSIS review, just forget it. Multistakeholderism (MS ism) has
caught on, and NetMundial kind of MS events are the best way to move
forward.

2. Ok, if you just must do something of a review, merge it with SDG
(Sustainable Dev Goals) review, which really is another way to make the
most important global IG issues disappear.

3. Next, do the review at as low a level as possible... Let the
bureaucracy (and not political) level UN processes like those led by
UNESCO and ITU stand as 'the' review.

4. Now, if you indeed must do a full WSIS plus 10 review, have it on an
'equal footing' MS pattern, so everyone participates as equal in
decision making processes throughout...

Further, at UN processes which did attempt some real multistakeholder
participation like the WG on Enhanced Cooperation, all kinds of highly
obstructionist methods and attitudes were displayed by many if not most
non gov actors which really did not allow things to go anywhere. Because
of which reason the WG work collapsed and it folded up without giving
any recommendations, as it was supposed to do. The internal working of
the WG, to which I was witness, was a real testimony to how highly
resourced non gov actors can network, in fact gang up, so effectively to
stop any useful policy process.

Do you think the above kinds of things contribute to giving confidence
to governments that greater stakaeholder participation, under the
conditions in which IG MSism works, is useful in taking forward the
important agenda of providing the (very) necessary and urgent global
political responses to the myriad challenges and opportunities that the
Internet is throwing/ opening up. I very much doubt it. So as we write a
letter, lets also examine our own role in all this.

parminder