[governance] Financial reporting and transparency at APNIC

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Apr 30 20:25:49 EDT 2014

Silent observer so far but this is a storm in a teacup.

1. More than one of the individuals commenting don't really have a long track record of actively attending apnic meetings (participation in SIGs etc).

2. APNIC being located in Brisbane is correct but it has a multicultural staff from across Asia. Japan, Vietnam, India, China, Indonesia .. just to name the nationalities of a few of APNIC's most long time employees.

3. All RIRs that I know of do have a substantial part of their budget dedicated to outreach / education and fellowship programs.  The fellowship committee for the apricot conference for example (nanog equivalent in asiapac) gets funding from apnic, isoc and additionally individual meeting sponsors from time to time.

4. I fully support transparent financial reporting and a further discussion on that, but the rest of the vaguely accusatory and in one case hyper supportive discussion around airfare must take into account that apnic staff travel a lot more every year  than the average globetrotting civil society person doing the rounds of netmundial, wgec etc, to fulfill their many roles (hostmaster services, training workshops across a very large coverage region including the pacific islands and not just Asia, etc).  If some of them get business class fares for longer trips so they can arrive rested and immediately begin work, that is a net saving compared to the number of extra days hotel rooms are going to be booked for an extra rest day (a normal perk when your policy says to travel economy) and also keeps staff available for assignments that many more days in a year.  That is a small number of very highly trained and skill sets not particularly easy to replace staff.

--srs (iPad)