[governance] What about promoting media and information POLICY literacy? Suggestion: "ICT+M policy literacy"

Remmy Nweke remmyn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 11:20:05 EDT 2014

Thanks Becky for this heads up.
It sounds interest for exploit.
I am interested in even exploring your course outline too.
regards

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Becky Lentz, Dr. <becky.lentz at mcgill.ca>wrote:

>  This is a fantastic discussion thread and long overdue. However, I'd
> like to propose considering singling out the 'policy' dimension in the
> evolution of this conversation, i.e., being more explicit that what we're
> talking about is literacy 'about' the policymaking and policy advocacy
> aspects of this field.
>
>  With some very important exceptions, media education and media literacy
> conversations, traditionally, seem to have been captured by a protectionist
> and/or a skills agenda...how to 'use' media and technology more
> skillfully, carefully, etc. In the five years I've been teaching 'media
> governance' at an international university, I'm still amazed at students
> from development studies, political science, sociology, and other
> disciplines who say that they never heard about 'this' policy studiesarea,
> until taking my courses. After exposure, they're keen to get involved,
> but what's the 'path' for this? Some started a campus-based chapter of
> openmedia.ca as one step while still in university. Others have gone on
> to intern and so on, but again, few of the NGOs in this field have outreach
> programs that allow academics to facilitate linking their students with
> experiential opportunities to learn more. Diplo does some of this, as we
> know, but it's aimed primarily at diplomats, not university students keen
> to get involved in the future of the internet as they are eager to imagine
> it. At the same time, many NGOs have considerable human resource needs that
> continue to go unfunded. There is a way to work on this, if we make it an
> area 'to be worked on.'
>
>  By comparison, the environmental protection, public health, and human
> rights policy fields enjoy much more infrastructure for educating about the
> policy dimensions of their sectors...so, environmental literacy might
> mean becoming more aware of the environment, but there's also an
> educational and professional path (even degree programs, certificates,
> etc.) to pursue if one is interested in becoming part of that field as a
> career path. And as we know, "human rights education" (HRE) is a
> mini-industry of its own with sustainable funding from the UN to advance
> its goals, agendas, etc. Many groups incorporate policy literacy in their
> work, so why not make more explicit partnerships between academia (where
> the younger folks someone mentioned already 'are') with NGOs doing policy
> work so that we can cultivate a stronger 'pipeline/feeder system/pathway'
> TO media policy advocacy in the public interest?
>
>  I guess what I'm suggesting is that we consider talking about
> 'information, communication, technology, *and* media (ICT+M) *policy*
> literacy' to begin to try to address the capacity building challenges
> inherent in ICT+M policy change, more broadly. What about a new IGF dynamic
> coalition around 'capacity building', that includes ICT+M policy literacy?
> [...]

REMMY NWEKE,
Lead Strategist/Group Executive Editor,
DigitalSENSE Africa Media Ltd
(publishers of) DigitalSENSE Business News;
ITREALMS, NaijaAgroNet
(Multiple-award winning medium)
Published by: DigitalSENSE Africa Media Ltd
Block F1, Shop 133 Moyosore Aboderin Plaza
Bolade Junction, Oshodi-Lagos
M: 234-8033592762, 8023122558, 8051000475,
T: @ITRealms <http://www.twitter.com/ITRealms>
[Member, NIRA Executive Board]
Author: A Decade of ICT Reportage in
Nigeria<https://www.facebook.com/adecadeofictreportageinnigeria>
NDS Forum on Internet Governance for Development (IG4D) 2014<
http://www.digitalsenseafrica.com.ng>- June 5
Nigeria IPv6 Roundtable 2014 <http://www.ipv6forumnigeria.ng> - June 6
@Welcome Centre Hotels. Register now. Email: remnekkv at gmail.com
*Confidentiality Notice:* The information in this document and attachments
are confidential and may also be privileged information. It is intended
only for the use of the named recipient. Remmy Nweke does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this e-mail. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify me immediately, then delete this document and do
not disclose the contents of this document to any other person, nor make
any copies. Violators may face court persecution.