[governance] RE: Call for consensus - endorsement of speech by Nnenna Nwakanma on behalf of Civil Society at Netmundial, Brazil Result

genekimmelman at gmail.com genekimmelman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 06:52:06 EDT 2014

Wonderful!  Thanks so much

-------- Original message --------
From: Deirdre Williams <williams.deirdre at gmail.com>
Date: 04/25/2014  11:30 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: Internet Governance <governance at lists.igcaucus.org>,Gene Kimmelman <genekimmelman at gmail.com>,Nnenna Nwakanma <nnenna75 at gmail.com>,Daniel Pimienta <pimienta at funredes.org>,Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com>
Subject: Call for consensus - endorsement of speech by Nnenna Nwakanma on behalf of Civil Society at Netmundial, Brazil Result

It gives me great pleasure to announce on behalf of the co- coordinators that those who voted gave their support 100% (or if you add up the suggested numbers a great deal more than that) to endorse the speech made by Nnenna Nwakanma at the opening ceremony of NETmundial in Brazil. The dissenting voices disagreed with the need for the consensus call, but supported the speech.

Nnenna herself makes no claim to the content of the speech - these are her words from a message in the thread:

"I have avoided taking any particular credit about the speech, because I only listened to all those who had a say and summarized their issues. Then I proposed a  set of 3 issues per thread and the over arching issue of trust.

To me, I dont see that I have done anything new.

The best I can do is to listen and pick out what I hear as consensus. And stand by it."

I hope she will forgive me if I say that while the content may be "ours" the delivery was all hers.

So Gene, the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus, after due process, offers its endorsement to "Nnenna's Speech", And let's follow Daniel's suggestion and "draw from the speech a "(civil society) core values" document which could be used as the greatest common denominator of people joining this forum ...".

Best wishes to all

Deirdre
(on behalf of the Co-Coordinators, IGC)

--
“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979