[governance] netmundial 0.1

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Fri Apr 25 12:11:38 EDT 2014

> On 2014-04-25, at 6:30 AM, on the IGC list, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
> the overall impression of civil society I am hearing as I cruise the Hyatt this morning, is wow, civil society has its act together.

Always preferring the maximization of individual choice to “mobilizing” the masses, I used NETMundial to underline the consequences of the Community Informatics Declaration phrase – the global is a federation of locals.  But, speaking to whether civil society has its act together, before social justice, isn’t Community Informatics about understanding a particular aspect of social change - the changed nature of community in digital society?  The primary consequence I see is that the structures of governance that result from that redefinition still aren’t being taken into account (or where they are being taken into account, are being reactively opposed).

Community, Internet, Internet Governance, and federations of locals are instances of complex adaptive systems.  In effect, my working hypothesis remains that the changing nature of community is in the process of replacing the existing normative social order, the social order that contains the normative structure called civil society.  The use of the words “ecosystem” and “distributed” in all IG forums, and the redefinition of “global” by CI, would seem to be evidence of some slight recognition of this.  However, I note that the word “community” was number 45 on a graph comparing the appearance of the fifty most frequent words used in contributions to NETmundial. < http://cis-india.org/internet-governance/blog/net-mundial-comparing-appearance-of-fifty-most-frequent-words>  At least it’s still on the list!  Let us remember that the meek WILL inherit the Earth and are much less likely to screw it up.

GG