[governance] Fwd: Netmundial address

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Wed Apr 23 17:37:18 EDT 2014

Dear Nnenna,

Compliments for having already transformed NetMundial is something unexpected.

From the
Intro of Nnenna: Africa,  Best Bits and  Internet Governance Caucus
Intro of the Web Foundation: Mission, and key activities
On principles: a) Access  b) social change and justice
On principles c) Human Rights and Freedoms
On Roadmap: a) Participation b) resources
On Roadmap: c) Change (accountability, transparency)
Overarching issue: Trust and positive agenda
Thanks
to your public speech, you did walk the walk, even though you sticked to your minute by minute draft :-). It was difficult to know where these simple lines would lead. What a great speech. My Sincere congratulations.

The other very good thing with your speech, is that it is now linked intimately to President Rousseff's words at the UN, and it will become a reference to many, in case they would forget about some critical ideas, principles and issues. I do remember that in the present lists we have had people asking "what means social Justice?" Milton was one of them. Probably today your speech has changed a little that non understanding.

Your speech will also raise expectations. It doesn't imply that by all means we should take whatever ICANN and backers will consent to give. When you speak with sincerity of a collective work, or a cooperative spirit, we all know that trust is still low. It will come back through common values, such as the ones you very rightfully put back at the center of the board, but also through common definitions, common language, common honesty. So whatever outcome of NetMundial will engender, it will be confronted to these two speeches. I am willing to see if beyond the speech, there is a dialogue, or just a communication 'game' - not talking about your speech - to make sure people converge, (agree) without assuming the diversity of opinions, and the necessary and fertile debate. Democracy is about le débat d'opinions, not just smiles, '+1', and 'converging'. Let us notice and remember that among the submissions they were only a couple of them who dared suggest a new grand design for Internet Governance, including some essential functions, but clearly going beyond  THE solution that ICANN and USG are still willing to push in our mouth and minds. I am not talking of any fight between a multilateral vs a multistakeholder model of governance.  (Rousseff today spoke about a multisectoral approach) I am thinking of going beyond that establishment, that single world. Out of ICANN thinking, no survival. Out of one single root zone, no more Internet. This is all a big lie. There is room for more Internet, and for more Democracy in it, and with it. The 'Don't change it, it ain't broken', or 'No one controls the Internet', or 'Internet cannot be governed'. Well Internet can be governed, in a fair and democratic fashion, for all the very same reasons you have exposed with so much talent. I still do not see any reason why a monopoly would be given (or self attributed) the right to decide for itself and for us all. As you said, as the Just Net Coalition and some other defend, the Internet, and not only the web, should be considered as a public commons. This has indeed very practical consequences for the Internet we(?!) want.

Warmly and respectfully
JC