[discuss] [governance] RE: [ciresearchers] NETmundial documents online for comment

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 03:36:49 EDT 2014

Greg,

Please see my just posted reply to Mike Roberts as the intro to my comments below...

In the context of layers #3 and 4 (and an economic layer) of the "onion skin model" where traditionally democratic decision-making processes and norms have prevailed I would ask you to back up your assertions with as you say "facts" as to the

1.       the inclusiveness of MS processes as they might apply in this area—i.e. so that they truly reflect the “interests/stakes” of all stakeholders which by now I would expect we would all agree would include virtually all people in the world, and not simply those who have the resources to be able to show up at expensive venues and engage in somewhat technical discussions in English

2.       the probity of the internal stakeholder processes—operative and transparent rules of selection, determination of status, internal stakeholder decision making etc.

3.       the probity of the MS decision making processes i.e. the rules governing conflict of interest, self-dealing, capture, and so

In the absence of some suitable response to the above your assertions as to the usefulness of MSism seems simply to be an example of special pleading. The point about democracy is that it represents at its most basic the determination of matters of public interest by the many rather than the few.

If you are arguing that decisions should be made by the (resourced, powerful and networked) few as “stakeholders”, then please have the courage to say so and then we can stop this back and forth and agree to disagree.

Your experience as a well-paid English speaking professional able to travel at will is hardly reflective of even a majority of your fellow citizens let alone the rest of the world.

Equally your experience as a citizen of a country with a notoriously and increasingly dysfunctional political system is hardly the basis for making assessments of appropriate decision making systems as they might have global impact (it is interesting that your examples of exclusionary maneuvering (“Gerrymandering” and “voter disqualification”) are examples drawn directly from the current US experience with no justification on your part as to how these might be of significance in a global context…).