[governance] Surveillance paragraph of netmundial document

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 09:52:06 EDT 2014

Surely “should be conducted” should read “should ONLY be conducted” since
surveillance in any case should be an exception?

I have sat in on several "open consultations" on the "Interception of
Communications" Bill proposed for the Government of Saint Lucia. In the end
the whole issue comes down to trust since a) it seems to be impossible to
avoid a "national security" exception; b) the checks and balances depend on
the probity of the judiciary and c) unless someone tells you there is no
way of knowing anyway if it is happening.
Deirdre

On 16 April 2014 18:38, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

>   Hi everyone,
>
> To me one of the weakest sections of the document is the paragraph dealing
> with surveillance issues (para 35 of the Roadmap) which reads “ Internet
> surveillance – Mass and arbitrary surveillance undermines trust in the
> Internet and trust in the Internet governance ecosystem. Surveillance of
> communications, their interception, and the collection of personal data,
> including mass surveillance, interception and collection should be
> conducted in accordance with states’ obligations under international human
> rights law. More dialogue is needed on this topic at the international
> level using forums like IGF and the Human Rights Council aiming to develop
> a common understanding on all the related aspects”.
>
> This fairly weak language and action line (more dialogue) is not
> surprising given the governmental input (including US Government) into the
> drafting. So far the only comment on this is from me, where I suggest
> reference to the necessaryandproportionate.org principles.
>
> I think it would be useful if others commented as individuals. Perhaps
> what we need is some better wording (which perhaps governments would be
> embarrassed not to include), and which would strengthen the response here.
> In any case, some wording and indication of level of concern to ensure that
> this is discussed on the floor of the meeting rather than simply passed by
> as an adequate wording would be useful!
>

> Ian Peter
>
> The site for entering responses is
> http://document.netmundial.br/2-roadmap-for-the-future-evolution-of-the-internet-governance/

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979