[governance] NetMundial outcomes - public draft

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Apr 17 04:13:33 EDT 2014

I have mentioned in different postings how I see the now public
NetMundial outcome draft being even worse than the earlier leaked one,
on which we had submitted critical comments as enclosed. But I thought I
should put all those point together, for clarity. In short, they are as
follows:

1. 'Net neutrality' which was mentioned just as 'neutrality' in the
previous draft disappeared completely
2. Mention of 'free flow of information' in two places in the original
draft disappeared
3. 'Public' in 'open and public standards' no more there
4. Text on access for disabled weakened
5. Demand for international agreements for restraining cyber weapons is out
5. Mention of 'necessary and proportionate' principle in relation to
surveillance practices is no more there
6. The recognition in the earlier draft of need for mechanisms for
emerging and  issues not being currently addressed is considerably weakened
7. Multiple references to a 'equal footing' (never clarified, and thus
being introduced through a backdoor) multistakeholder model, even for
public policy making, further strengthened while demands by some HLC
members, and other civil society groups, to include 'democratic' in
representing global IG mechanisms rejected.

This is from a quick reading.

So what was a rather poor outcome draft to start with  is now
considerably worse.

I think the public draft should be discussed in the spirit of
deliberative democracy. It is not enough to individualise and
'privatise' comments and inputting through a web platform.

I am yet to hear a positive assessment of the public draft, but I am
sure it must exist in some people's minds. Pl do share.

Thanks,

parminder