[governance] Re: [bestbits] Nnenna to Keynote at Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 09:11:21 EDT 2014

Remind them that as the discussions ensue that we be mindful that
decisions, influences made will affect diverse communities who may be
under-represented at the Net Mundial. Noting that the timespan of the call
for submissions were made in haste and would have ensured a fragment of
views from the world.

Principles such as stewardship, accountability, transparency are key. The
conflict in definitions of "governance" whether this is "narrow" or "wide"
continues to impact debate, dialogue and discussions. Whilst there is both
light handed and heavy handed regulations of various aspects of the
Internet, it is critical that the community agree on principles of Internet
Governance that can help get the discussions rolling from a neutral
platform.

We are witnessing a war that to some degree is influenced by geopolitics,
market power, struggle to be heard that at times global public interest can
be easily marginalised. We have to find room to hear not only the "loud"
voices but also the "lone" voices in the desert.

Inclusion, meaningful participation, humility to listen to diverse voices
is essential for authentic dialogue and engagement where we talk to each
other and not at each other. Sometimes as stakeholders, we can be so
focussed with hearing our own voices that we miss hearing what others have
to say. It will require a level of give and take from each other so that
all stakeholder groups - civil society, private sector and public sector
can engage. The degree in which they are able to collaborate and engage
will determine tomorrow's landscape.