[governance] RE: [bestbits] Nnenna to Keynote at Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 09:02:05 EDT 2014

Congrats Nnenna,

Since you are asking for suggestions for points to cover I would suggest the following:

1.       A formal commitment/re-commitment to the Internet for the Common Good/in the Public Interest… I only see minor and off-handed references to this in the NetMundial statement but there needs to be a full-on commitment/re-commitment to this.  This is especially the case given the risks of fragmentation/privatization of interests a “stakeholder” approach to Internet governance presents.

2.       Framing/reframing “multistakeholderism” as a useful element in policy consultation and development, with suitable measures being in place to ensure the probity and accountability of  these processes, within the context of democratic decision making. I like the phrase “multistakeholder dialogue in a democratic framework”.

3.       Linking Internet Governance with social (and economic) justice.  The Internet is becoming a dominant means for economic activity and wealth distribution/redistribution. Internet Governance, which in the NetMundial document is extended to include the “Right to Development” needs also to address social justice issues which are rapidly becoming the dominant issues of our time.

4.       Finding the means to allow the widest range of voices into the Internet Governance dialogue. What this means is going beyond simple “capacity building” which ultimately can only enable the few, into designing processes and mechanisms which allow for the many to have a useful understanding of the broader issues and mechanisms to give voice and have those voices heard.

Good luck with it.

Mike