[governance] Re: [bestbits] Nnenna to Keynote at Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 15 03:56:09 EDT 2014

Great points Anriette.

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:44:04 +0200
From: anriette at apc.org
To: bestbits at lists.bestbits.net; governance at lists.igcaucus.org
Subject: Re: [governance] Re: [bestbits] Nnenna to Keynote at Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

    Congrats Nnenna!

      Put on one of your fabulous outfits, and then remind them, that
      working inclusively and respectfully with all stakeholder groups,
      particularly those that lack power and influence - i.e. civil
      society - is very different from putting on a colourful West
      African outfit :) It takes hard work, change in behaviour, change
      in structures and procedures, consultation, respect, trust,
      debate, and struggle, because do not always agree. It also
      requires a common framework of principles that defines what the
      public interest is in internet governance that can be used to
      promote and protect this public interest across the internet
      governance ecosystem and it is this framework that we trust the
      NetMundial can get us closer to.

      You could also mention surveillance, with particularly - but not
      only - mass surveillance demonstrating how easy it is to destroy
      trust, and to deny accountability. And, is there any tougher test
      for multi-stakeholder internet governance? I think it would be
      good to get the message accross that the IANA transition is not
      the only issue that NetMundial should be discussing, but at the
      same time, it is a key opportunity to come up with solutions and
      approaches that are not simply cosmetic.

      Anriette

    On 15/04/2014 09:23, Jeanette Hofmann