[governance] Wikileaks releases Penultimate NetMundial Outcome Document

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 15:28:15 EDT 2014

> All the organizations, forums and processes of the Internet Governance
ecosystem are expected to commit to implementing, as well as explicitly
adhere, to all the principles agreed in NETmundial.

In this paragraph are we supposed to read "are expected to commit" as "it
is probable that they will commit" or "they must commit"? Either meaning is
possible in the context.
Deirdre

On 9 April 2014 14:08, Garth Graham <garth.graham at telus.net> wrote:

> [...]
> structural principles of governance that are incompatible.  I have always
> believed that the existence of the Internet was a symptom of the
> distributed systems worldview in action.
>
> To effectively increase the resilience of the Internet Governance
> Ecosystem, it is not enough to reference open systems.  The processes of
> rules formation and future anticipation should be trending towards that
> word distributed and its internal relational implications.   It seems to me
> that this document does not fully take the implications of distributed open
> systems to heart.  The evidence of an intention to cling to the universal
> is the call that:
>
> > All the organizations, forums and processes of the Internet Governance
> ecosystem are expected to commit to implementing, as well as explicitly
> adhere, to all the principles agreed in NETmundial.
>
> To make such a commitment would be to accept that there are universal
> principles external to the Internet Governance ecosystem that govern what
> it can do and that can render its future more predictable.  That pushes us
> towards some global centralizing mechanism.  It's also bad systems theory.
>  For example, if we defined the global in distributed terms as a
> "federation of locals," <
> http://cirn.wikispaces.com/CI+Declaration+-+Principle+8+Discussion>
> rather than as a universalizing principle, we insure that what we commit to
> is a process where the rules structuring relational interdependencies
> evolve within from common practice.
>
> GG
>
> On 2014-04-08, at 8:56 AM, Pranesh Prakash wrote:
>
> > PDF link: http://goo.gl/z5bFXm
> >
> > https://wikileaks.org/netmundial-outcome/
> >
> > NETmundial Executive Stakeholder Committee (EMC) Outcome Document
> > Tuesday 8 April 2014, 15:30 GMT
> >
> > Today WikiLeaks released the penultimate draft agreement ("Outcome
> Document") going into NETmundial 2014 - the Global Multistakeholder Meeting
> on the Future of Internet Governance. NETmundial is an international
> conference of twelve nations and other internet stakeholders, to be hosted
> in São Paulo, Brazil, April 23-24, convened to lay down a roadmap for
> internet governance. It is co-hosted by the twelve goverments of Argentina,
> Brazil, France, Ghana, Germany, India, Indonesia, South Africa, South
> Korea, Tunisia, Turkey and the United States of America. The document was
> prepared by the NETmundial Executive Multistakeholder Committee (EMC) from
> the 180 NETmundial submissions and has been submitted to the High Level
> Multistakeholder Committee (HLMC) for final comment. The HLMC comprises
> ministerial level representation from the twelve co-hosting nations and is
> due to give its feedback tomorrow, on April 9.
> >
> > Outcome Document
> > This document has been created by the Executive Multistakeholder
> Committee (EMC) and is submitted to the High-Level Multistakeholder

"The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979