[governance] NetMundial funding - information requested

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 06:27:55 EDT 2014

Hello Parminder,

the process was as follows:

1.Registration online NetMundial; in the online form, it was asked, among
other things if candidate needed a partial or total load;
1.2 Once registration is approved,  secretrariat of NetMundial has notified
 candidates.;
3.Secretariat has NetMundial then sent a link to the visa application;
4.It is at this stage that the secretariat requires the booking of  hotel
by applicant and receives information about support for the stay in Sao
Paolo during the summit.
4. it is also at this stage that the secretariat sent a form for
resrevation flight. It is also at this time that the travel ICANN
constituency contacted the candidate.

So, the whole process of funding support is coordinated and managed by
NetMundial secretariat.

>  Someone who is not in these civil society circles, and who had sought
> funding support on registering for NetMundial, asked me information about
> how funding support works. Since I am not able to help that person with
> this information, may I request those involved with the meeting to provide
> it. Please note that this is urgent. (The concerned person has received an
> email from ICANN informing him that ICANN would support her/his travel for
> the meeting.)
>
> It will be useful to know full details about how the funding process
> worked. Was there a pool of donations? Who picked up the participants who
> were offered funding? What kind of criteria was used? Why individual
> funders are approaching participants with funding support, and why a
> centralised approach from the meeting organisers was not made/ considered?
> Whether there are other funders too making such a direct approach? Who are
> the funders and what amounts have been committed?
>
> If say an Internet company was to approach a civil society participant
> declaring that it will fund her/ his travel, it could create a potential
> problem because many civil society groups have limitations on what kind of
> funding for travel etc they can accept from private companies, especially
> those who work in their own activity area , and under what conditions.
>
> I request early information on the above since the person who has asked
> for this information and her/his organisation needs to make an early
> decision about accepting the funding, given the short period to the meeting.
>
> Thanks
>
> parminder
>
> PS: It is not a personal gripe because two persons from IT for Change have
> been offered support in a similar way and we have accepted it.

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

*SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*
*REPRESENTANT OFFICIEL TICAFRICA ET CYBERVILLAGE at FRICA/RDC*

*COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFECCOORDINATION NATIONALE REPRONTIC*

Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
skype                 : b.schombe
blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr