[governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] [bestbits] Re: IGF Assessments Call for information

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Apr 4 03:22:24 EDT 2014

On Friday 04 April 2014 12:22 PM, Nnenna Nwakanma wrote:
> There is something unsettling  to me about this call. And I have been
> debating with my self:
>
>  1. Why is IGF asking for  "actions and decisions" now?
>  2. Why are actions being requested in a forum whose main objective is
>     to "discuss"?

Since you asked, let me be frank if blunt...

Because there is a great amount of activity and discussion going on
about gaps in global governance of the Internet with regard to public
policy 'making' (the enhanced cooperation debate) and there is much
effort to posit the argument that 'the IGF is enough' , whereby no
specific public policy 'making' mechanism is needed.

And since you rightly point out, IGF is to 'discuss' and that should
normally not be enough, a somewhat desperate case is being made out that
such discussions have led to necessary actions (and thus IGF is enough)

I agree, it is unsettling. IGF and its duty holders should stay neutral
in this larger debate and not support any one side . They should just to
their job, which is to convene and inefficiently run a global
multistakeholder public policy dialogue

parminder