[governance] reporting to base...

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Sat Sep 28 12:27:08 EDT 2013

Dear people,

First of all, thank you for the lively dialogue and the support for the
letter to President Rousseff.

She was quite happy to receive a congrats letter from CGI.br on her UN
speech, and thrilled when I handed our letter telling her it was signed
by more than 50 national and international CSOs in support of her
statement at the UN. And we managed to do it in two days!

Getting a warm hug from this valiant woman is no small thing, so I am
still recovering from that crucial meeting.

Attached is the PDF version of our document as delivered to her in print.

I have to mention that in her discourse on Friday (the occasion was the
launching of the new Portal Brasil -- brasil.gov.br --, still in beta)
she taught us  that, in relation to e-gov processes, each one of us
should be just the same individual, while the government is many
instances and different bureaucratic processes, and tends to treat us as
different people every time we need different services.

So, Rousseff said, the government ought to recognize this and treat each
citizen as the same individual who does not need to go through strenuous
specific procedures in order to obtain online government services. This
is the design philosophy of the new Portal Brasil.

Besides top ministers, the whole technical staff of Portal Brasil was at
the meeting.

fraternal regards

--c.a.