[governance] FORMAL CONSENSUS CALL Re: call for endorsements for a letter to president Dilma: support on her speach at UNGA

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Sep 26 08:39:37 EDT 2013

[with IGC coordinator hat on]

In view of a very significant consensus process already having taken
place on (among other mailing lists) the IGC mailing list, the IGC
will be considered to be endorsing this letter by consensus unless a
timely objection against this is raised.

I hereby set TODAY 21.00 BRT (Brasília time), that is midnight UTC, as
deadline for any such objections.

Greetings,
Norbert

Joana Varon <joana at varonferraz.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> >From yesterday afternoon and through out the night, after several
> >exchanges
> with some thematic lists on IG, we have managed to draft this short
> and direct statement to president Dilma in support of her speech at
> UNGA.
>
> We had/have a time constraint, as it is meant to be delivered
> personally to the president tomorrow morning by our dear Carlos
> Afonso. So I'm sorry if this is popping up in your inbox as something
> already closed for more comments.
>
> It is* now* *open for endorsements here:*
> http://bestbits.net/brazil-66-unga
>
> (Note that, to avoid spam, the platform will send you a confirmation
> email to you inbox. Please, do not forget to confirm so your name
> will show up in the endorsements list)
>
> I (and, I believe, everyone that kindly contributed in such a short
> period of time) fully encourage you/your organization to support it
> and spread the link as widely as possible. Having a diverse list of
> endorsers would be very important for helping Marco Civil to be
> approved and for straightening CGI.br political position in our
> national scenario, which also sets some interesting standards for
> internet policy procedures/principles worldwide.
>
> Our deadline for signatures for the version to be delivered tomorrow
> to the president is *today (Thursday, 26th) at 22:00 (Brazilian
> time).  *The statement is also copied below.
>
> Thanks a lot for all the contributions and efforts in such a sort
> period of time.
>
> all the best
>
> joana

Letter from International Civil Society Organizations to President Dilma
Rousseff in support of her statement at the 68th Session of the UNGA

Your Excellency,

We, the undersigned organizations and individuals from around the world,
committed to the development of the Internet and its use for advancing
social and economic justice, would like to express our strong support
for the statement delivered this week by your Excellency at the 68th
Session of the United Nations General Assembly. We commend you for
taking a leading role on these issues and would like to:

   1. Fully endorse the five principles enunciated on the occasion, in
   clear accordance with the Brazilian Internet Steering Committee’s
   Principles for the Governance and Use of the Internet.
   2. Stress the importance of the timely adoption of the Brazilian
   Draft Bill of Internet Rights (Marco Civil da Internet) in a way
   that upholds these principles and endorses the innovative and
   democratic process in which it was conceived.
   3. Commend the courage of Brazil in expressing disapproval and
   demanding explanations from the USA about the procedures of illegal
   interception of information and data, framing it as a grave
   violation of human rights and of civil liberties
   4. Reinforce our support for the Brazilian multistakeholder model for
   Internet governance led by CGI.br.

We express our deep appreciation for your serious commitment to social
justice and development, of which an open, stable, and reliable
Internet is a fundamental pillar.