[governance] Dilma Rousseff's speech at UN

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Sep 25 08:28:27 EDT 2013

Dear people,

I am not sure we will go too far (although philosophers can really be
far-fetched in this exercise) in doing an exegesis of her discourse. Let
us see how the practice goes. The signs are good: she entered the room
to talk to us CGI.br folk with our 10 Principles in hand and the first
thing she told us was she agreed with them.

She also mentioned the Marco Civil as proposed by the rapporteur (result
of a 4-year public dialogue) is the one she agrees with (which is the
one CGI.br formally supported), and was going to fight for it, although
recognizing that as bill of law transiting through Congress it might
suffer modifications which she might veto but Congress could reverse and
so on -- in summary, normal practice in a democratic State. The big
challenge now is the process in Congress, where the transnational telcos
and big media have enormous power.

frt rgds

--c.a.