[governance] Dilma Rousseff's speech at UN

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Sep 25 04:55:10 EDT 2013

We really hope the Macro Civil can pass with its net neutrality
provisions intact.... If it does, net neutrality (NN) advocacy may be
able  to get a new leash of life, this time centred in developing
countries who would be the biggest losers of an non-neutral Internet.
This after the NN movement was killed in the US by the grand
Google-Verizon pact (which, in any case both parties have turned their
back on since, and was perhaps only meant to forestall possible stronger
action by FCC, which at that times seemed making some serious noises)
and later by the apparent volte face by EC politicians in the EU, even
when some EU countries have working NN legislations.

It is great that Brazil has once again articulated net neutrality as a
key global IG priority. The first time it did was in 2010, at part of
the joint IBSA statement on enhanced cooperation, and again recently as
part of their response to enhanced cooperation questionnaire.

In fact all the five principles enunciated by Dilma's statement are
excellent, and should form the core of global Internet governance. I
reproduce them below.

1 - Freedom of expression, privacy of the individual and respect for
human rights.

2 - Open, multilateral and democratic governance, carried out with
transparency by stimulating collective creativity and the participation
of society, Governments and the private sector.

3 - Universality that ensures the social and human development and the
construction of inclusive and non-discriminatory societies.

4 - Cultural diversity, without the imposition of beliefs, customs and
values.

5 - Neutrality of the network, guided only by technical and ethical
criteria, rendering it inadmissible to restrict it for political,
commercial, religious or any other purposes.

  Bravo, Brazil.

parminder