[governance] Amid NSA Tensions, Brazil May Change Its Internet Laws

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Sat Sep 21 01:36:34 EDT 2013

It is excellent. I would add something else that it seems virtually everyone in Washington DC is missing:

President Rousseff, along with other key people in Brazilian public life, actually fought personally against the military junta, and suffered personally for it: she was jailed and tortured. She learnt at first hand what can happen if secret services get too powerful.  This history is one of the reasons why Brazil has a miniscule secret service today with many legal prohibitions in favour of privacy against those services' abuse of their authorities.

Lots of leaders talk about freedom and democracy, but few of those have put their lives on the line. Commentators who suggest that everything Brazil is doing is some kind of cynical game to exploit the situation with spying are simply not reading: even a cursory look at Brazilian history - and President Rousseff's personal history - would tell them that's not the case. It would also tell them that saying so compounds the offense that the situation has created.

The continuing USG message on spying that "everyone does it" and so all the complaints are somehow completely invalid is deeply foolish: quite a few other countries also have very limited secret services because they've experienced the national nightmares that take place when over-agressive surveillance systems flourish.

There are leaders who are taking advantage of this in a cynical way, and there are countries that are crying crocodile tears in public while they spy as aggressively as the USG and with fewer checks and balances. There are quite a few others for which those two things are largely untrue.