[governance] stakeholder categories (was Re: NSA sabotage of Internet security standards...)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 19 09:31:37 EDT 2013

On Thursday 19 September 2013 06:46 PM, McTim wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> BTW, what does this kind of vaporisation of stakeholder categories do to
>> multistakeholderism - As aptly questioned by Ian... We are then all just
>> 'public', and governance is based on developing contextual conceptions of
>> public interest, which is done by normal democratic methods.....
>> Multistakeholderists cannot have their cake and eat it too...... Either
>> there are stakeholder categories, with some definitions, or there are
>> not.....
> Some of us who support multi-equal stakeholdersim in IG do not think
> categories are useful.

I am happy for IGC to develop a position on whether stakeholder
categories exist or they do not..... I can accept either scenario and
develop my thinking and positions over it. However, people can not be
arguing one position when it suits them and the opposite when it so
suits. ( I aint speaking about you.) The biggest problem with
multistakeholderism (MSism) is that it refuses to enter into such clear
basic categories and concepts related discussions. It wants to be but
doesnt want to be talked about or interrogated.... parminder