[governance] stakeholder categories (was Re: NSA sabotage of Internet security standards...)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 19 08:41:36 EDT 2013

We need to make a distinction between public - in whose name the
conception of 'public interest' is created, and who, in a democratic
system, influence political outcomes through participation in the
'public sphere' - from what may be called as 'civil society'. I see a
lot of confusion here between these two important but very different
terms and concepts of a democratic ecology. Everyone is 'public' and
have the corresponding rights, including various rights of
participation, but not everyone can be called as 'civil society'.

Civil society has generally referred to relatively organised groups
oriented to some kind of public action - which is informed by public
interest and not private interest. Before going forward, one must
mention that a lot of individuals, with the dint of their demonstrated
work and networks of collective action, do become important parts of
civil society. The digitally networked world adds a (welcome) complexity
that many more individuals can be members of civil society , in this
manner, than waspossible earlier . This new dimension should be fully
taken into account, with groups like IGC being important sites where
such civil society identity is built and expressed.

However, the new context does not completely remove the traditional
conceptual boundaries of what is and what is not civil society. Norbert
explained at length his conception of these boundaries, and I agree with
him.

Every term or concept has some boundaries of its application, and it
would be meaningless without them. The impact of killing the meaning of
a term is of damaging the interests of those who employ it for specific
purposes. If we want to argue ad absurdum, anything can be reduced to
everything-ness which is also nothing ness.... Each of us is also  a
productive agent is some way or the other, and 'sells' some service or
product, yosou well, everyone is business, everyone has some technical
(and academic) skills, and so..... in countries like India, where
governance system goes deep to include every adult citizen in many
governance activities, then everyone is also government......

BTW, what does this kind of vaporisation of stakeholder categories do to
multistakeholderism - As aptly questioned by Ian... We are then all just
'public', and governance is based on developing contextual conceptions
of public interest, which is done by normal democratic methods.....
Multistakeholderists cannot have their cake and eat it too...... Either
there are stakeholder categories, with some definitions, or there are
not.....

Two other conceptions have been offered for delineating civil society.
One is self definition. Well, fine, but why does this not apply say also
to technical community..... Why is it fine that someone who self defines
himself as technical and academic community, and in fact is demonstrably
an academic,  may not be considered as 'tech and academic community' by
whoever is the
gatekeeper of that particular community, What is interesting that most
people now on the side of keeping civil society as fully open and
diffuse category were rather sympathetic to the actions of the
gatekeepers of tech and academic community.... This question needs to be
responded to.

Or, and this is my political question, why is it is just the civil
society that is offered such pious advices which would simply results in
it loosing its effectiveness... Think of some reps of big telecom
industry, including as Karl says, multiple legal replicas of them, being
able to fully participate in a civil society effort at building
consensus over some net neutrality principles. What Norbert has
expounded are simple conflict of interest principles that is basic to
organising public life and public systems in all democracies.

And the further political context of this discussion is, that although
definitionally   any non-gov, non-business grouping would be civil
society,  the term has a preponderant usage for groups representing the
interests of those who are normally marginalised and
under-represented.... Which is why in WSIS, for instance, you had civil
society caucuses representing the interests of women, ethnic minorities,
disabled people etc and none for the corresponding empowered categories.
Creating definitional weaknesses that contribute to organisational
ineffectivness of civil society compromise the interests of these weaker
sections. We must accept that business groups are (mostly) organised
around interests of large shareholders, and thus a corresponding
worldview and policy positions. All civil society groups understand
that, without meaning any personal disrespect to any one. (Neither does
it mean that every time business has a view that hurts the interests of
the marginalised. Of course not.) But we are intent on being blind to
such simple universally accepted facts of political life we are
compromising the interests of marginalised people. And we are also
constructing civil society groupings that are sorely out of sync with
civil society groupings in practically all other global governance/
policy spaces....

Lastly, some participants here have mentioned that having/ representing
'civil society values/ interests' is what is relevant to being civil
society. Can they clarify what  they mean by these terms. Is it the
interests of those who are otherwise easily marginalised from policy/
governance spaces, and are generally the ones suffering social, economic
and other kinds of injustices..... Or is it something else. Unless we
know what 'civil society values/ interests' mean we can identify the
civil society persons that espouse these values/ interests.

parminder