[governance] Re: Who is Civil Society?

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Thu Sep 19 03:26:23 EDT 2013

 Bravo Dominique, you got the point ! Thanks for your relevant reminder. These NRNGOs (Not Really NGO) recieved their accreditation from the WSIS Secretariat -with the blessing of the ITU ! In fact they even achieved to hinder le CS Plenary working and conributing activities. A very bad and sad souvenir for all the true CS participants. I also can remember some (pseudo)ONG leader trying to bind the WSIS CS to the Private Sector (PS) ... We all togethe also should keep in mind that the PS is speaking una voce through the CCI leadership, and -last but not least- is largely present and influential in the ITU through its ITU Sector membership. IMO this stresses the necessity to be very cautious about the possible osmosis betwenn CS and PS which is detrimental to the CS in any case. Therefore I fully agree with Michael Gurstein upon the principle : Verify then trust! Best Jean-Louis Fullsack
> Message du 19/09/13 00:14
> De : "Daniel Pimienta"
> A : governance at lists.igcaucus.org
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [governance] Re: Who is Civil Society?
>
> What about one belonging to a so called CSO that is also sponsored by business and very close to gov and secret services?Bonsoir Dominique :-)
>
> As I said there is no perfect solution but the institutional approach brings better garanty, if not perfect.
>
> In my 25 years working in a CSO I can testify that quite often I had this type of suspicion and I conducted investigations... which eventually does not bring proofs but strong presumptions...
>
> Naivety is something CSOs cannot afford if they want to be efficient players in multistakeholder games.
>
> During WSIS, who participated from civil society remember some "Tunisian NGO's " which were covered secret agents of Ben Ali's government spying our meetings. Real Tunisian NGO's warned us (and sometimes affront them providing intense and dramatic moments) although their representatives behave so obviously that you needed to be really, but really, naive to swallow it ;-).

believed to be clean.

governance at lists.igcaucus.org