[governance] stakeholder categories (was Re: NSA sabotage of Internet security standards...)

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 16:10:22 EDT 2013

Hi JFC,

I hear what you are saying and it implies that things must be black and white.

 In a former life I was legal counsel for a Telco which would have made me private sector but I was advocating matters of public interest and not just looking out for the best interests of my employer then. In fact being involved in civil society from as early as 1987 have helped me to have a more balanced worldview when dealing with the corporate world. I used it to engender awareness within my own organisation on multiple issues.

I have since left to form a Think Tank which is independent, self funded. I consider myself to be civil society. I was the inaugural chair of our National Cyber Security Working Group which is actually Multistakeholder in composition but reports to My country's Ministry of Defence. Following handing over, I am now Chairing the Legal Sub Committee of the Working Group and advise the Government but am NOT on their payroll.

I don't see any merits that can come from policing the current subscribers on this list and pigeon holing them into categories. If people want a pure civil society list, they can easily start one. I don't like anyone telling me what I am and what I am not. The test of the matter should be in the levels of contribution on substantive matters, policy, statements, influence etc. Similarly, the attacks on Peter Hellmonds are uncalled for. Whilst there is a way to highlight your point but you need to be able to raise it without resorting to attacks.

For the record, I object to any type of pigeon holing.

Kind Regards,
Sala

Sent from my iPad