[governance] CS Participation in the High-Level Leaders Meeting

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Sep 18 06:06:00 EDT 2013

Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> To be sure I understand:
>
> We are being invited to volunteer to go to a special meeting to put
> our signatures on a government declaration that will be determined
> before anyone gets to Bali on behalf of civil society.

That is not what is being communicated (the formulation “formulate and
adopt by consensus” is an accurate summary of what the nature of the
event is claimed to be). But I wouldn't be too surprised if Avri's
description is closer to what will actually happen (at least in regard
to participants who don't leave the room in protest).

> I am surprised anyone would be brave enough to put themselves in that
> position.

I don't think that they'll physically stop anyone from leaving the room
if things get too bad.

At least from the perspective of anyone who is not into Chinese state
ideology, and who does not otherwise find diplomatic nonsense
enjoyable, it's definitely not going to be a purely pleasurable event
with simply good culinary and intellectual entertainment as had been
speculated earlier. The draft terms of reference document seems to be
strongly influenced by Chinese sources, and in additional China has a
representative on the panel and in addition after the panel discussion,
the general discussion (and presumably drafting) process will according
to the draft agenda be lead by United Nations Under-Secretary-General
Department of Economic and Social Affairs Mr. WU Hongbo who is of
course also from China.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person