[governance] NSA sabotage of Internet security standards

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 12:58:16 EDT 2013

While I agree that there is a significant need for CS expertise in the black arts of cryptography etc.etc. I'm not sure that I agree with the implication that these skills in themselves will somehow ensure freedom from/freedom within surveillance...

Whatever response it is possible to ultimately achieve re: the Snowden/NSA revelations the final result needs to be one that satisfies/is trustworthy (is worthy for trust) at the political/normative/popular level if we are to move away from a state of surveillance/surveillance state.

To do this some type of transparent/accountable political superstructure needs to be in place, if nothing else than to act as a translator/buffer between the technical folks and the public and to ensure some degree of transparency/accountability of their (technical) activities.