[governance] US's oversight role

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Sep 6 20:41:05 EDT 2013

JFC,

On Sep 6, 2013, at 3:46 PM, JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:
> as a former IANA General Manager (unless your are sworn to some secrecy), what are the technical duties that justify a US's sworn oversight of the IANA?

Not sure what 'sworn oversight' means in this context. I certainly didn't swear (my mom taught me not to).

When I was IANA GM, the primary role of the 'Director of Security' was to make sure IANA operations were secure against attack, that we took reasonable steps to ensure the registries weren't compromised, act as the point of contact in case of attack (or rumors of attack), etc. My understanding of the reason DoC wanted to be informed in advance of changes in personnel is they wanted to know the person was competent to do the work as well as knowing who to call if something bad happened security-wise.  I've no idea if the job requirements changed since I left.

> To make the question simpler, if we were to propose a "IANA MS enhanced cooperation"  that would be made secure and neutral by members (government, ICC, ITU and Civil Society organizations) running their own http://iana.cctld sites in their national language(s), with the addition of local/specialized tables and documentation, the translation of RFCs, national laws, rules, best practices, etc. what would be the resulting technical difficulties/risk for the network?

I imagine the largest technical difficult would be coordination -- there is a reason (other than to feed conspiracy theorists) the IETF keeps coming up with singly rooted architectures for stuff (names, addresses, routing security, network management identifiers, etc.): coordinating a single tree is easy, coordinating a forest is really, really hard (even when the multiple trees want to coordinate, which appears to be rarely the case in the context of the 'members' you mention above).

Regards,
-drc