[governance] US's oversight role

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Sep 6 10:02:15 EDT 2013

In message
<CAJhHpNteCwdZaX9DwVL4Cd-OiL25ixKL=LXwY4d8CUZLrSepCQ at mail.gmail.com>, at
10:19:33 on Fri, 6 Sep 2013, Katim S. Touray <kstouray at gmail.com> writes

>To help clear the air, here's a direct quote (including my
>clarifications in parentheses) from the IANA contract (
>http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/iana/contract-01oct12-en.pdf):
>
>  "The Contractor [US Department of Commerce] shall designate a
>  Director of Security who shall be responsible for ensuring technical
>  and physical security measures, such as personnel access controls.
>  The Contractor shall notify and consult in advance the COR
>  [Contracting Officer's Representative] when there are personnel
>  changes in this position. The Director of Security shall be one of
>  the key personnel assigned to this contract."
>In the above, the Contractor and COR both refer to the USDOC.

With respect, that's all "old news" and I'd expect most of the usual
suspects on this list to have understood that situation from way back
when the original request-for-tender was issued. (If not then they
haven't been paying attention).

The question I was attempting to ask is whether or not ICANN has one
"Director of Security IANA" who meets those well understood criteria, or
maybe they could have a second (without the various baggage) Director of
Security who is responsible only for the non-IANA part of their
portfolio.

Or perhaps there's not enough security to worry about that it requires
two people.
--
Roland Perry