[governance] Bruce Schneier: The Only Way to Restore Trust in the NSA

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Sep 5 16:36:07 EDT 2013

Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> What Schneier is suggesting would go a long way to resolving some of
> the issues that Snowden raises for US citizens but doesn't seem to
> address what the NSA has been doing in the rest of the world--the EU,
> the UN, Mexico, Brazil that we know of now. What can/could/should be
> done about those and by whom?
>
> Bruce Schneier <http://www.theatlantic.com/bruce-schneier/>

The intelligence agencies of every country need, in addition to
their being accountable to the people and the political institutions of
their own country, to be made accountable to the people of the world.

Any country can start this process by institutionalizing such
accountability, with the goal of making it as trustworthy as possible.
Schneier's suggestions provide good guidance, with the difference that
in what I suggest, the goal would be to gain trust among the people
outside the country. For example, analogous to Schneier's suggestion
of a “special prosecutor”, the “special prosecutor of violations of the
/human right to privacy/ of foreigners” should be a foreigner with
international credibility, with a technical staff that also consists
of 100% foreigners.

Over time, experience will show how such institutions can be set up so
that they're effective, and what works less well.

Eventually, minimal requirements for such institutions (that are
sufficient to achieve effective international protection of the human
right to privacy) can be distilled into a treaty.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person