[governance] definition of "governance" (was Re: talking vs acting)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Sep 3 14:41:47 EDT 2013

JFC Morfin <jefsey at jefsey.com> wrote:
> At 16:36 02/09/2013, Norbert Bollow wrote:

>> I personally distinguish between
>> [..]
>> 3) Internet as an information and communication system: the global
>> information and communication system that: (i) is logically linked
>> together by a globally unique address space based on the Internet
>> Protocol (IP) or its subsequent extensions/follow-ons; (ii) is able
>> to support communications using the Transmission Control
>> Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) suite or its subsequent
>> extensions/follow-ons, and/or other IP-compatible protocols; and
>> (iii) provides, uses or makes accessible, either publicly or
>> privately, high level services layered on the communications and
>> related infrastructure described herein. (This is slightly modified
>> from a definition adopted in 1995 by the US Federal Networking
>> Council)
>
> This is (my feeling) THE main problem that we face. The reason is
> clearly indicated: it was "adopted" (not a natural description) by a
> Federal (US) council.

Hmm... you're making an important point around “who decides how we see
the Internet”!

I think that the “Internet as an information and communication
system” perspective is a valid dimension of analysis (and given that
the work of putting this into reasonably precise words has already
been done, I see no need to duplicate that effort, regardless of who
did that). The key question is IMO whether one defines and see the
Internet so strongly from the “information and communication system”
perspective that one becomes essentially blind for the other important
aspects, or whether we treat this as one among multiple important
dimensions of analysis.

> Beware! The US for me does not mean USG, but the whole set of US
> interests in internet leadership/dominance related to industries,
> majors, defense, Gov, etc.

Yes, the US government's international policies certainly seems to
be guided primarily by such a bundle of such particular interests and
those stakeholders are also exerting significant influence on their own
through how they act.

By the way you really got me thinking about civil society needing to
develop capacity for being able to engage by means of long-term
sustained action that goes beyond merely talking/communicating.

> Actually, in the day to
> day life digisphere (which includes that (4) definition of the
> internet) is probably more precise.

Do you have a good definition of “digisphere”?

> I see. You are OK with a fuzzy reading of the Tunis agreement. My
> problem with that is that people started reading it this way, instead
> of reading it as a precise, non-fuzzy, but dynamic document.
> Therefore, the more we go, the less we agree.

I'm not sure that an update of the Tunis Agenda would solve this
problem. Sure, wordings that have proved highly problematic might
get improved, but I'd expect that the need for creative diplomatic
ambiguity might arise again.

> Further to my appeal IRT RFC 6852 there will be a need to propose how
> OpenStand should be inserted in the IGF or how the IGF will consider
> OpenStand. My intent would be to publish an RFC on the matter. Would
> you be interested in teaming up on it?

I'd love to, and I sincerely thank you for the invitation, but alas I
don't have have any spare capacity to take on any additional tasks.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person