[governance] Re: [IRPCoalition] How to end human rights violating communcations surveillance (was Re: Position by IT for Change...)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Sep 1 10:47:10 EDT 2013

I agree with Norbert that the cost of doing surveillance has to be
increased through appropriate technological means, to bring it closer to
costs that existing before ICTs made it a kid's game as Snowden would
say, to see anyone's communication with a few strokes of the key pad....

This is a course that should be systematically pursued...

However, I am in agreement with Ian that treaties are useful and needed,
and that countries to give in to get something else in return, and all
of it could result in greater global public good.

To respond to Norbert's specific doubt, about what has US to benefit
from conceding on its global surveillance activities, I think they have
a great lot to achieve. Like in no other business before, US has a
preponderant dominance in global Internet business. It has a lot to gain
if international agreements help develop some level of global norms,
frameworks and rules of at least /some level/ /of/ cross-national
harmony if not homogeneity on how the global Internet basically works,
and what can be expected by and granted to all global  players. No other
country has more to gain through such 'global agreements' as the US's
economic interests have.

Earlier, the US thought that they will bring about such 'uniformity'
through steam-rolling what it framed as a global Internet freedom
agenda, which was always clearly a trade and political agenda, and was
always dubious... The limitations of that strategy is increasingly
clear. They would soon realise that they have to get into global
agreements if they have to keep ruling the global Internet. That is what
the US has to gain.

In a write up last year or so, I made a distinction between regime
development phase and regime enforcement phase. Regime development phase
is when the basic rules of the game are being developed. This is the
phase currently with global Internet governance, In this phase, US wants
others, especially developing countries to be kept away, and seeks to
avoid discussions about global agreements. (MUltistakeholderism is  a
very useful device for this purpose.) In areas like trade and
intellectual property, as Norbert rightly points out, the regime is
already formed. US and its allies have defined the rules of the game.
They now want these rules to be globally enforced, of course to US's
advantage. That is the game. This is what I call as the second stage,
the regime enforcement stage.

In global Internet governance, at some time, after the regime is well
developed as per the dominant countries' interest, we will see the
regime enforcement stage. UIS and others will suddenly say, well we must
get serious now, twe really need some global rules and the such....

The question is, should civil society play the game of the dominant
forces, or, as they say in economics, try counter-cyclical measures...

parminder