[governance] Ad hoc Best Bits strategy meeting tomorrow lunchtime

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Oct 26 18:05:12 EDT 2013

David
I like your reply, it is very reasonable and I agree with most of your points.
You've identified in greater detail how the concept of MuSH is ill-defined. I agree that we seem to know better what we are avoiding (pure intergovernmentalism) than what we are pushing for. One problem with this avoidance behavior is that intergovernmentalism can easily sneak in through the back door; e.g., via the idea that states are "just another stakeholder," or via Jeremy's willingness to accept states as "more representative and legitimate," or via empowering institutions such as GAC, and so on. If we don't know the difference between good institutions and Frankenstein-like stitch ups, we are going to get into trouble.

Indeed, civil society as a whole seems really lost, imho; it is losing its ability to shape the agenda with it's me-tooism.

While the Best Bits and IGC sign on statement recognizes that the term MuSH has a variety of meanings, it makes the serious mistake of focusing the Rio meeting on the general "architecture" of Internet governance and calling for general principles that are already in old WSIS statements (inclusive, people-centric, development-oriented, blah, blah). It has not translated those principles into specific proposals that would give them any meaning. Or rather, the only specific proposals - that IGF and CSTD WGEC should play an important role - are nothing if not descriptions of the status quo. And the status quo sucks, to use a highly technical academic term. That is why I refused to sign on to the statement.

These kinds of mushy statements about MuSH leave the initiative entirely in the hands of the I* organizations (and their institutional agendas) and in the hands of states - who WILL be making specific proposals, believe me.

CS is not advocating a single meaningful reform of the existing IG environment. That's sad. Others on this list will therefore have to organize another sign on letter that actually promotes something specific - hope you will help with that effort, David. And anyone else interested, please contact me privately.

Finally, I'd like to call your attention to another potentially damaging assumption that is crippling civil society's approach to the Brazil summit. It is the equation of NSA reform with "Internet governance." See this blog post for greater development of that argument:

http://www.internetgovernance.org/2013/10/26/get-realist-dont-confuse-nsa-regulation-with-internet-regulation/

--MM