[governance] [Fwd: Re: [bestbits] Sign-On Statement regarding the 2014 Internet Governance Summit in Brazil]

parminder at itforchange.net parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Oct 26 00:11:44 EDT 2013

---------------------------- Original Mes

> On 25/10/2013, at 12:31 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>
>> Jeremy
>>
>> Is this the same statement that was presented at an informal CS meeting
>> yesterday afternoon.... And where a few changes were       suggested - i
>> rememeber at least by me Anja and me..
>

> Yes it is the same, with those suggestions incorporated, and reviewed.

Thanks for the information, Jeremy...

Who reviewed and incorporated the suggestions, and 'finalised' the statement.

My only suggestion was not incorporated - neither responded to... It was
regarding the main operative part of the sentence - the second sentence -
which seek multistakeholder model of holding the conference. I had
proposed that we instead ask specifically for civil society to be an equal
partner in all processes of holding the conference..... The reasons for
this have been variously argued, also specifically in the meeting on
Thursday, that we are in an entirely new situation after the announcement
of the new 'coalition of the willing' by the technical community. There is
a need  therefore to clearly show that what we are asking for is not that
kind of 'non gov front' to be included but  *specifically about civil
society in an independent and self-represented role in holding the
summit*....

I was never explained why this suggestion did not make sense, and why is
it not in the final formulation...

Also, I am seeing IGC coordinators marked in this process in their
official capacity - as in as the coordinators joint email id), so eager to
know what is their 'official' role in this present process..

Thanks.

parminder