[governance] Re: [bestbits] Sign-On Statement regarding the 2014 Internet Governance Summit in Brazil

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Oct 25 23:41:31 EDT 2013

Daniel Pimienta <pimienta at funredes.org> wrote:

> >Multi-stakholderism is nothing if stakeholders:
> >- cannot speak (language)
> >- think (culture)
> >- work (technologies)
>
> Maybe it's time indeed, JFC, in this motivating
> context of some sort of revolution (in the
> peaceful and paradigmatic sense of the term ;-)),
> to put some useful seeds in our public statements
> and declarations for the support to diversity
> (linguistic, cultural, etc.) from civil
> society in the model of Internet Governance we aim to.
>
> If we dont pay attention and leave "the implicit"
> takes the decision for us then global
> multistakeholderism is conducted de facto in English,
> and only that way. As a consequence, we will
> propose a scheme that, compared to the norm of International
> organizations (that so many fear to take as an option and
> consider an obsolete model) will be a clear regression.

Yes, this is an important point.

While we cannot reasonably re-open the statement at
http://igcaucus.org/sign-on.html after so many have endorsed it
already, we should keep this in mind for future statements.

Also this point could be explicitly mentioned in the text of the IGC
decision endorsing the statement, for example as follows:

  The IGC endorses the Sign-On Statement regarding the 2014 Internet
  Governance Summit in Brazil at http://igcaucus.org/sign-on.html and
  notes in addition that the needed Internet governance architecture as
  per the first bullet point must allow for full and equal participation
  in the policy development processes in a variety of languages
  including the six UN languages.

This is an informal draft text which can be freely edited at
http://igcaucus.org:9001/p/sign-on-endorse-plus

Greetings,
Norbert