[governance] UN UDHR history

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Oct 24 14:54:27 EDT 2013

Always interested to hear revisionist history. But what I check up doesn't match your interpretation.
From the UN website:

Eleanor Roosevelt, widow of American President Franklin D. Roosevelt, chaired the UDHR drafting committee<http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/drafters.shtml>. With her were René Cassin of France, who composed the first draft of the Declaration, the Committee Rapporteur Charles Malik of Lebanon, Vice-Chairman Peng Chung Chang of China, and John Humphrey of Canada, Director of the UN’s Human Rights Division, who prepared the Declaration’s blueprint. But Mrs. Roosevelt was recognized as the driving force for the Declaration’s adoption.

Since Roosevelt was the US delegate to the UN, if the USA had opposed the initiative they would not have made her the delegate. True, by 1948 there were Cold War tensions and true, UK and other European powers always wanted to preserve their colonial possessions but the US was not a colonial power at the time.