[governance] Ad hoc Best Bits strategy meeting tomorrow lunchtime

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 21:24:13 EDT 2013

Bill,

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 8:48 PM, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Despite Chris' wording, I don't view this effort as a power grab, a framing
> that seems to suggest that there's fixed pie of power (?) that one group
> wishes to take at the expense of others.  Fadi went to Dilma, they talked
> and agreed to hold a multistakeholder meeting with yet to be fully agreed
> goals, and he came to the people he knows and said ok we need to get
> organized and have an open coalition that goes beyond us to include people
> who favor MS processes even if they have different ideas of the desirable
> end states.  Hence the meeting was meeting was open and you were there to
> voice your concerns.  If you decide you don't want to coordinate with the
> people involved in that effort you can try to organize your own relationship
> to the Brazil meeting.  But surely that doesn't mean that those who do
> shouldn't be able to.

Sums it up nicely.

> Since "their" meeting was open and "we" were invited to get involved, why do
> "we" need to have a private meeting from which "they" are excluded?

good question!

@Mawaki, I never said I was "anti-governmentalist".  Nor did I say the
"technical community" should take over from governments.

I think we need to realise that governments make the laws and
regulations that the Internet operates under in each country, in
addition to the "Geneva-style" Internet Governance processes.  I'm not
willing to hand them any more decision making ability when I can
instead have CS play a significant role in multi-equal processes.

I think it is poor strategy and poor form for us to over-react.
Shouldn't we be strongly supportive of grass-roots coalitions?

--
Cheers,

McTim