[governance] Re [bestbits] [africs-ig] Civil Society speaker: IGF Opening ceremony - Nnenna

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Tue Oct 22 12:13:20 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-21, at 9:24 PM, parminder wrote:
Maybe around 2050, we would have sufficient capacity (and dominant ideology) build up to be given some kind of consideration of equity in global spaces…

While I'm all in favour of equity in global spaces, I don't see how dominant ideology is a route towards achieving it.

Systems based on rules (ideologies) assume they will be applied externally. The inputs mechanistically predict the outputs.  Neat and tidy, but there's a reason why pragmatism and practice are both rooted in deeds and their doing.  Systems based on principles (protocols) assume they will be applied internally and in relation to particular contexts. The potential outputs are complex and are not governing by the inputs.  Because they are open to their environments (ecologies), they are capable of learning.  In 2050, if the Internet survives, it will mean that practices emerging from situated learning have largely replaced dominant ideologies.

GG